These are my final two designs for the Risograph project. I am really pleased with them because I made them on Illustrator which is a program I haven’t really used before.
Here are my final three spreads, I am really happy with end result. I think it has a good flow and works as an article, I also like how the small details tie it all together. With the images so big it looks very bold and gives a real sense of space, reflecting Morag’s personality and her work.
After a tutorial I have decided to not use a gate fold anymore, and instead stick to a more standard format. I feel that the imagery is quite strong and so I want this to be the focal point of my layouts. Above is some experimentation with my final layouts. I tried out cropping into the images however I prefer the spreads where the photographs are fully formed, I like the edges and I feel the cropped images look to constrained and you cannot see the full quote. I think the questions being in colour helps type hierarchy, and using the colours from the photographs ties everything together. Next I need to add some more details, such as page numbers, work on my final spreads and print out mock ups to scale.
These are some photos from a letterpress workshop I did. As a group we picked one letter, two colours and came up with a design. It was really fun to learn how to use this machine and I think the final prints look really nice. At the end of the session we had a bit of time to experiment with printing multiple colours on a giant wooden S.
After the feedback I got for the previous layouts I shortened the line length to make it more readable and also re-photographed the paper structures in better lighting. The new images look a lot better on the crisp white background and I think the line length should be more readable, however I need to print out a mock up to scale in order to see how it will really look.
These are the final edited photographs for my layouts. I am really please with how they have turned out, the tone sits well on a pure white background. The shadows lift the images and I think it really gives a sense of space. I also love how the quotes are manipulated by the folds but still legible.
Experimenting with layouts
For my final article I want to use a gate fold, I feel that this could show more interaction than a normal layout, and I also like the idea of something unfolding and opening out to create a space. When completely unfolded it would be a landscape strip, like a panorama, which is how you would view one of Morag’s spaces.
The images above are rough layouts, the feedback I got from these was that the line length needs to be shortened so that it is easier to read, I need to spend time on the type detailing and I also plan to re-photograph the paper structures in better lighting.
This week I have been working on my imagery for the layouts, I have decided what fonts I am going to use and I also went to Pick Me Up.
Last week I decided to change my imagery because the photographs I was taking weren’t good enough, the method of photographing paint in water wasn’t working. So i started experimenting with ink on paper using a straw to form shapes, and I was really pleased with the outcomes of this technique. I think they work a lot better as backgrounds for the quotes to sit on as well, and I have used the same fonts for the quotes as I plan to use in the article for consistency. I think the photographs of the paper structures came out really well, the shadows form interesting shapes and I think it really gives a sense of space.
Next I need to work on my final layouts on InDesign.